NHS Graduate Nursing Online
Certain requirements must be met in order for Federal loans to disburse.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete the FAFSA for both academic years available.
- Remember to select the 001445 School Code for Georgetown.
2. After receiving your financial aid email award notification, log in to My Access to view your award package and accept the desired loan amounts.
- The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan has a lower interest rate than the Federal Direct Graduate Plus loan.
- Accepted loan funds will automatically be evenly split between the two semesters included in the award package. The first half of the accepted loan funds can disburse up to 7-10 days prior to the first day of semester one. The second half of the accepted loan funds can disburse up to 7-10 days to the first day of semester two.
- Declined loan funds can be accepted later on during the semester but cannot be disbursed after your classes for that semester end.
- You must email our office in order to increase or decrease your loans. Your Federal loan funds can be adjusted up to 120 days from the date of disbursement while enrolled at least half-time.
3. First-time Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan borrowers at Georgetown must complete both required loan steps listed below.
- Step 1 Complete the online Entrance Counseling (new window) for the Unsubsidized loan.
- Step 2 Complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (new window) with the Department of Education.
Note: Both of these loan requirements will remain valid for future semesters.
4. First-time Federal Direct Graduate Plus loan borrowers must also complete the three required loan steps listed below.
- Step 1 Log-in to www.studentloans.gov (new window) with your federal student aid id (FSA ID) to complete your credit application. Select “Apply for a PLUS Loan”. If credit approved, please move on to step 2 below. If your credit is denied, follow the instructions per the Department of Education regarding the potential for approval with a credit-worthy endorser.
- Step 2 Complete the electronic Master Promissory Note with the Department of Education for the Graduate Plus loan.
- Step 3 Complete the online Entrance Counseling for the Graduate Plus loan.
You must be registered for at least half-time in order for Federal Aid to disburse.
Loan funds will disburse up to 7-10 days prior to the first day of classes for each term if all of these requirements are satisfied.
Students who are accept the Direct Graduate Plus Loan must also “Apply for PLUS Loan”. (Step 1 above for #4).
- Graduate Plus loan credit approvals are only valid for 6 months.
- Completed Plus loan master promissory notes will not be transmitted to Georgetown until after there is a credit approval on record.
- A new Plus credit authorization is required each time you accept your initial award package and the credit approval can be used for both semester one and semester two but expires after 6 months.
- Students who wish to borrow additional Plus loan for a third semester will need to “Request Plus loan” again since the previous credit approval will have since expired.
Please visit the Graduate Nursing Online Common Questions page for answers to frequently ask questions.
Refunds can be requested in My Access after loan funds disburse to the student account and leave a credit balance indicated by a negative number. Students must apply for refunds from the Office of Revenue and Receivables
Any change in your enrollment may affect your eligibility for financial aid. Please contact us if your enrollment changes. This includes adding or dropping courses.