Policies for Graduate

Other than adjusting the cost of attendance (COA) for actual enrolled credit hours, you are eligible to appeal for a COA adjustment for the following circumstances ONLY:

  • Increase living allowance for dependent care (child or other dependent living with you).
  • Increase living allowance for spouse that is currently unemployed and residing with you.
  • Medical expenses not covered by health insurance.

To appeal for a COA adjustment, you must submit an appeal letter and documentation to your financial aid counselor.

Georgetown policy regarding outside resources is to help your lower your total student loan indebtedness. You must report any outside funding on the outside resources page in MyAccess. Outside Resources will be used to reduce student loans while still meeting the full cost of attendance.

You must report all outside resources through MyAccess by going to “Award Information,” then to “Resources/Additional Information.” You can view this step-by-step guide for more details. If your resource is sent to Georgetown, please note this in the comments section in MyAccess and use this address: 

Attn: Scholarships
Georgetown University
Office of Student Financial Services
G-19 Healy Hall, Box 571252
3700 O Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20057

If your outside resource will be set up as a contract through the Office of Revenue and Receivables, be sure to contact your financial aid counselor to let him or her know in addition to reporting it. 

If you need an official invoice from the university for your outside award to be disbursed, you must send a written request to the Office of Billing and Payment Services. The office will then bill your sponsor. 

If you wish to request verification of need, enrollment, or cost of attendance, write to: 

Assistant Director for External Scholarship Programs
Room G-19 Healy Hall,
Georgetown Box 571252

You may fax your request to the Assistant Director’s attention at (202) 687.6542.

You must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA each term and make progress towards meeting your graduation date in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid. If you do not meet SAP requirements, you will be emailed at the start of each semester with additional information. You are encouraged to speak with your graduate program adviser and your financial aid counselor to ensure that you are meeting the SAP requirements.

Please refer to the Graduate Satisfactory Academic Policy

Non-Service Stipends from your academic program or outside agency will be used to reduce your federal student loan amounts and meet your total cost of attendance. Please contact your graduate program administrator for information on eligibility criteria for non-service stipends. Service stipends are paid directly to you and will not reduce federal student loans.

Based on the information you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), your financial aid application may be selected for a process called federal verification. If you are selected, we may request additional information from you, which will be used to confirm the information reported on the FAFSA. The required documentation will be listed in MyAccess. Click on the requirement link in MyAccess to find out what steps you need to take to complete the request.

We recommend that you submit your verification documents as soon as possible after being notified. Your financial aid offer may be delayed until this information has been provided to the Office of Student Financial Services. Verification must be completed no later than 120 days after the last date of enrollment for the academic year in order to be considered for a late disbursement. New Direct Loans may not be offered after ceasing enrollment or dropping below half-time.