Common Financial Aid Questions for Undergraduates

For first year/transfer students, we ask that your application be complete by the priority deadline so that you will have a financial aid decision along with your admission decision.

We will consider your application if it is late, but please remember that under these circumstances you may not receive a notification of your financial aid award before you have to make an enrollment decision.

For continuing students, we ask that your application be complete by the priority deadline so that you will have a financial aid decision prior to your bill.

In fairness to all, Georgetown expects that parents will pay what they can, and we must assess each parent’s ability to contribute to college costs by reviewing complete financial documents from both parents. 

You might explain to the parent unwilling to submit financial information that his or her information will remain confidential. Your parent should also know that providing such information no way obligates him or her to contribute to your Georgetown education.

If you believe your situation is special, please write us a detailed letter of explanation.

You may be eligible for additional financial aid if there has been a change in your financial circumstances that were not reported on your initial aid application. Such changes may affect the calculation of your expected contribution towards college costs.  Please refer to the Changes to Reported Information Form on the Applications and Forms page for undergraduate students for more information. 

Yes, if you withdraw from Georgetown or change the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled, your eligibility could change. Before you make any changes in your enrollment, you should contact your representative in the OSFS to discuss how it may affect your eligibility for financial aid.

If you enroll less than full-time, your cost of education will be recalculated using actual reduced tuition costs. Your family contribution will not be revised, as you are expected to contribute the same amount regardless of your enrollment status.

You must be enrolled in at least a half-time status to be eligible for financial aid assistance.

Yes, if you receive an outside grant or scholarship or a third-party payment you must report the type and amount to the OSFS online through your MyAccess account. Under federal law and university policy, we must consider these resources and may be required to revise your financial aid award. You should contact your representative in the OSFS to discuss how your outside scholarship will impact your aid.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may consider some forms of financial aid taxable. Under current federal law, the amount of a student’s total scholarships/fellowships that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment is generally considered by the IRS to be taxable income. Information about what to report to the IRS and how to report it can be found on the IRS website and in the IRS tax topic #421.

For information about meal plan options and dining at Georgetown, visit the Dining Services website.

For information about housing options and charges, visit the Housing Services website