Common Financial Aid Questions for Undergraduates

For first year/transfer students, we ask that your application be complete by the priority deadline so that you will have a financial aid decision along with your admission decision.

We will consider your application if it is late, but please remember that under these circumstances you may not receive a notification of your financial aid award before you have to make an enrollment decision.

For continuing students, we ask that your application be complete by the priority deadline so that you will have a financial aid decision prior to your bill.

In fairness to all, Georgetown expects that parents will pay what they can, and we must assess each parent’s ability to contribute to college costs by reviewing complete financial documents from both parents. 

You might explain to the parent unwilling to submit financial information that his or her information will remain confidential. Your parent should also know that providing such information no way obligates him or her to contribute to your Georgetown education.

If you believe you have an unusual situation and your parent cannot provide their information, please contact your financial aid representative and provide a detailed letter of explanation. 

You may be eligible for additional financial aid if there has been a change in your financial circumstances that were not reported on your initial aid application. Such changes may affect the calculation of your expected contribution towards college costs.  Please refer to the Changes to Reported Information Form on the Applications and Forms page for undergraduate students for more information. 

Students who change their enrollment status from full time to part time in any semester, or students who withdraw from the University prior to the end of a semester, will typically become eligible for less financial aid than students who remain enrolled full time. New Direct Loans cannot be offered after an applicant drops below half-time or ceases enrollment. Students considering making a change in their enrollment status should contact the GU Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS) to determine what impact an enrollment change will have on their eligibility for financial assistance. 

Students who receive an outside grant or scholarship, or a tuition, military, veteran, or other educational benefit or third-party payment must report the type and amount of that financial resource to Georgetown by going online to their Georgetown MyAccess account and navigating to the “Award Information” then to the “Resources/Additional Information” tabs. 

Under federal law and university policy, Georgetown must consider these outside financial resources in assessing financial need and eligibility for aid, and may be required to revise financial aid eligibility in some cases.

Students may contact their counselo (new window)r in the GU Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS) to discuss how receipt of an outside financial resource, scholarship, or benefit will impact their eligibility for other need-based financial aid. 

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may consider some forms of financial aid taxable. Under current federal law, the amount of a student’s total scholarships/fellowships that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment is generally considered by the IRS to be taxable income. Information about what to report to the IRS and how to report it can be found on the IRS website and in the IRS tax topic #421.

For information about meal plan options and dining at Georgetown, visit the Dining Services website.

For information about housing options and charges, visit the Housing Services website