Graduate Students

School of Arts & Sciences, School of Nursing and Health Studies, and McDonough School of Business

Graduate students in the School of Continuing Studies should click here to be redirected.

Need-Based Financial Aid

All applicants for federal need-based financial aid must complete and submit the following document:

If you plan to attend Georgetown between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017, file the FAFSA  for the 2016-2017 School Year (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017)

If you plan to attend Georgetown between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018, file the FAFSA for the 2017-2018 School Year (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018)

If you are applying for a summer session, contact us to determine which application you should complete.

The FSA ID, a username and password, has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.

For more information, refer to this link

When completing the FAFSA, use School Code: 001445.

Before completing the 2016-2017 FAFSA, please read about the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. The Office of Student Financial Services reserves the right to request further documentation in support of your aid application. It is in your best interest to respond to all requests for information as quickly as possible.

Merit-Based Scholarships, Assistantships or Fellowships

For more information on these types of assistance, contact your academic program or visit the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, the Graduate Biomedical Sciences Program or the McDonough School of Business.

When to Apply

Our office accepts financial aid applications from graduate students throughout the academic year. Prospective students should apply for financial aid when they apply for admission to Georgetown. This will ensure that they receive information about their eligibility for financial aid after they receive their admission decision.

Application Deadlines

Application dates vary by graduate program. Continuing graduate students are encouraged to apply for need-based financial aid by May 1.

It usually takes about seven business days for the federal government to process a financial aid application, after which Georgetown reviews the application and makes a decision about the graduate student’s eligibility for federal financial aid. Students must reapply for financial aid each year they intend to enroll at Georgetown.


Your eligibility for federal, many state and some private aid programs is based on your financial need as determined by a formula mandated by Congress. The federal need analysis formula evaluates net income, some net assets, number of family members, number of family members in college and other relevant factors in order to calculate an expected family responsibility toward educational expenses.

If you have other resources available to meet college costs, such as a state or privately-sponsored scholarship, these also must be considered in determining need for federal aid.

Aid for Summer School

A limited amount of aid is available to graduate students during the summer. Please complete the GU Summer School Aid Application to be considered.

Emergency Loans

To assist enrolled students in meeting unanticipated expenses in exceptional circumstances, the Office of Billing and Payment Services administers an emergency loan fund. Graduate students may borrow up to $600 per semester through this program. Usually only one loan may be obtained per semester. Emergency loans are not available between school semesters.

You must be enrolled at Georgetown, have a valid university identification card and a student billing account record to obtain an emergency loan. This is because the loan is charged directly to your student billing account. The Office of Billing and Payment Services reserves the right to deny any emergency loan request that is not considered an unanticipated emergency.

Applications and information regarding repayment terms may be obtained from the Office of Billing and Payment Services by calling (202) 687.7100.